Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: model 5 series 2

  1. #1
    Inactive Member lambik's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello,

    I have a pair of model 14. which I like very much,
    Now I can buy a set of Altec Lansing's. model 5 series 2. I have never heard of this model and cannot find anything about them, Is there anyone who can give me some information? I have a picture of them but do not know how to upload a picture here.

    Thanx Erik

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Model 5, Series II had a 12" frame woofer, but only about a 10" cone. This driver was shared with the model Seven. I believe the Model 5 had 2 tweeters - plastic frame with a cone similar to the model 9. The same tweeter as was on the model 3.

    This woofer had a foam surround that is succeptable to rot. Woofer is no longer available, but aftermarket re-foam kits are likely to be found.

    I had an earlier model (891A - ?) that used the same woofer and a similar tweeter that sounded pretty good, but do not expect nearly as good a speaker as your Model 14.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member glenn_m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2005
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    aloha, had my five's 29 years now. agree with carl bill. woofers are easy and cheap to recone/refoam. friendly size speaker good for background music, not for detail. bought mine for fill-in spkrs until i could decide between mod 19 and mod 17.

    cant remember specs but i think bass is 60hz but not too boomy- has a tuned port cabinet. lacks mid range detail, highs decent. like all small spkrs like to be driven with good clean amp- i ran 200 watt class A.<u>background music</u><u>not for detail</u> is the best application.

    great for work station etc. im really happy with the reliability/sound for the bucks, glenn...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.